Thursday, June 5, 2008

Good Mixing Degree

I'm tired of writing... and you say "What?! She's not writing in her blog in about one month." Precisely... My current task is to write papers and the PhD thesis (at least it should be). Honestly, I have not begun writing the thesis. Anyway, I'm not concerned. It will be a compilation of 4 international papers, + introduction, + conclusions. I'll be surprised if the thesis will have more than 100 pages. That's what I call to be concise, which is a mathematician skill or something like the kiss principle.

It's quite discouraging just writing:

Paper 1 (P1) goes to the advisor (A). A returns P1 with comments. P1 goes again to A, and the supreme advisor (SA) asks for P1 and P2. The last corrections on P1 are made by suggestions of A and he asks for P2. P1 goes to SA, while a draft of P2 goes to A.

You get P1 back for modifications and also P2 to re-write, at the same time. (are you following the story?)

P1 goes to SA and P2 to A. P1 still needs some major modifications. P1 goes again to A. P2 return to you and A asks for P3. SA asks for P1.

Well, I'm lost. Basically, today I've sent P1 and P2 to SA and replied to A that P3 will be ready soon referring that "this is what I call a good mixing", i.e., to not know how my work is going on, as if my work subject isn't mixing already. I wonder if soon can be applied to after June 20th.

Also, I now have SA requesting some slides for his presentation at PPS-24. Doing all the calculations, it seems that I have no time available to make my presentation for the same conference, <ironic mode> which is always a good point. </ironic mode>

Do I seem stressed?! I just need to submit the thesis until the end of July and SA says I need 3 months to write the thesis. Fantastic!

Some time ago a colleague has asked: "In a scale of 1 to 20 which is the difficulty of getting a PhD?" I've answered: "4, the difficulty is like in any other job, but you have a lot of work. Also, either you have a lot of perseverance or you'll fail."

I'm mentally tired, exhausted.

No comments: