Friday, August 17, 2007

6th Deadly Sin


Envy is an emotion that "occurs when a person lacks another’s superior quality, achievement, or possession and desires it." They also feel that it is not possible (or not easy) for them to have what they want. Otherwise they would simply go get what the other person had, and they would be satisfied.

Envy is one of the Seven deadly sins.

At the core of envy seems to be an upward social comparison that threatens a person's self-esteem: another person has something that the envier considers to be important to have. A comparison is often rooted in the envier feeling low self-confidence, and they feel that they need to be or have the same things as others. If they don't have it, or they can't have it, they feel envy. This can be seen with money and power struggles.

However, what is envied could also be something that is only of personal importance to the envier, even if what the other person has is of little significance in his or her society, or even seen as a sign of inferior status. If the other person is perceived to be similar to the envier, the aroused envy will be particularly intense, because it signals to the envier that it just as well could have been him or her who had the desired object.

----------“---------------“------------

When I was a little girl my parents talked about envy. I always thought that happens in their generation but not in mine, because we (the young people) will change the world in a better place to live. Meanwhile I was growing up and I never felt that someone had envy about me. I knew that I had some disagreements with colleagues, but this is usual between young people, right?!

In life we adopt a certain life-style living, we have always some goals to achieve and we have believes. I always liked to have philosophical conversations; unfortunately it is rare to find the right personas to do it. Life teaches us to be wise, to talk when it is really necessary and if possible to be the last speaker. It was then that I felt the envy on my shoulders.

People always criticize your ideas, your believes, your belongings, your way of doing things, your work, everything. But never gives a better alternative for what they are criticizing. They always can give an option, but compared with yours it doesn’t worth to imagine how things will get work. People always like to be on the top, i.e., to know everything and more than you.

You can felt that with your relatives, with your friends (are they really friends?), co-workers or people passing by you. The funny of all of this is that they always try to make feel you as a dumb in front of everybody. The worst is trying to get your position at work or in society by trying to cause disagreements between you and other people. If you are not strong, you will perish.

It is frequent friends came to talk with me and the subject is envy. I always try to give them some comfort words and teach them how to react or how to solve some misunderstood created by some bastard. Sometimes I feel sorry for them. As what it concerns to me, quoting my father “neither a truck will move you, you are firm as a rock.” In other words who tries to knock me down, always ends with some broken bones.

Nobody is better than me, nobody is higher than me on anything, as I’m not better neither higher than nobody, unless you prove me that fact and I recognize it. And “to prove” is not “just talking” but “move your ass” to prove it.

How can I detect envious people?! It’s easy… The most common is the voice tone. You can always be very attentive to all the words of a sentence, a word not in the correct syntax position can give emphasis to something hidden. Very few people can recognize envious people by their smile and their look, a simple eyes contact of 1 second is enough.

Why people don’t get a life and let us live peacefully?!

1 comment:

Louis said...

HI Single Mind. I used one of your pictures in your post Envy. I wrote something about same topic and needed a single picture to show the essence of Envy. I link your blog to my post. If this is not acceptable just email me an I will take out the image. Thanks!