Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Portuguese Steaks

Since September 2006 I live in a completely new flat. The flat has 3 fronts, east, south and west; each front has a wonderful and gorgeous view. At the east we can see the castle of GuimarĂ£es and the Penha church. At south there is a big garden which has a small kid garden and we can see an overview of the city. At the west, there is an overview of the street with plenty of trees.

In the first 2 mounts I have done some home work, which includes making some noise with a hammer. And I was not the only one making noise. I always though that someone was doing the same as me. We are in May 2007 and all the building ears someone working with a hammer since 9 a.m. until 11 p.m. at work days. At the weekends we can ear the noise after 6 p.m. until 11 p. m.

Last Sunday I’ve reached my limit. I was on each floor of the building, ringing on each door and asking to the people if it was them that were working with a hammer. Everybody was saying the noise was annoying and didn’t know who the worker was. After 80 minutes of ringing and talking, I’ve quit. It was nobody, I could not believe.

I remember that I need to put the garbage out, so I left home and when I was outside the building I have realized that the noise was coming from the kitchen of the restaurant!! I went to the restaurant to know what they were doing on the kitchen. I have explained that all the building was angry with the noise all over the time. The guy answered me “Perhaps it’s my colleague in the kitchen beating the steaks.”

I was astonished with the answer. I could not believe that all the noise was just “beating steaks”. Yesterday I had a talk with the restaurant owner and explained that he could not continue beating steaks. He knew that I was complaining about the hammer noise since several months ago, but he was surprised when he founds it was from his kitchen that was coming the irritable noise.

I really don’t know if I should laugh or cry.

No comments: